Balneology has a great tradition in the Czech Republic. The local spa care has always been based on state-of-the-art medical procedures, as well as scientific findings regarding effects of the natural resources, i.e. gas, mineral waters, and peloids (mud, peat, bog). Marianske Lazne is an illustrious example of this therapeutic approach. In the past, the town was the seat of the Institute for Balneological Research, the biggest authority in the field in the Czech Republic.
The most eloquent proof are the spa treatments attracting guests with most varied diagnoses to Marianske Lazne for long years. Kings, music composers, as well as great thinkers were here to have themselves cared for. They had their reasons. The standards of the local therapeutic stays have always been high. A wide range of diseases is treated here, all under the supervision of top-class and expertly trained personnel. Moreover, many guests visit Marianske Lazne regularly for prevention. A significant part of therapeutic procedures focuses on using natural carbon dioxide, and it’s no exaggeration to say that it is the local natural wealth. There even exist treatments you can experience only in the picturesque milieu of this spa town.
Marianske Lazne belongs among spas covering the biggest number of indications in the Czech Republic. It is thanks to the fact that springs with chemically very diverse composition rise on the town’s relatively small area. A special feature of Marianske Lazne in the Czech Republic is the treatment of urinary tract diseases.
Most frequently treated diseases
- Musculoskeletal system diseases
- Kidney and urinary tract diseases
- Airway diseases
- Metabolic diseases
- Gynaecological diseases
- Oncological diseases
- Digestive system diseases
Natural healing resources
In Marianske Lazne, there rise cold carbonic acidulous waters at the temperature of 8-10 °C, which are used for varied procedures. These are primarily the drinking cure and carbonic baths. The carbon dioxide contained in these springs is used for gas baths and injections. Less mineralized waters are tapped and sold as table water.
These are peats and bogs processed for therapeutic procedures. They are used for medical compresses and packs.
Officially not a healing source. However, thanks to the relatively high altitude, clean air, and dense afforestation, we can consider the beneficial effects of the local climate on human health.
The most used healing springs
Mineral water is used for baths and for the drinking cure. Over 40 mineral water springs exist in Marianske Lazne and its immediate vicinity. The chemical composition of these springs is highly varied; one would say they differ like chalk and cheese. Apart from very salty waters, the so-called Slatinice and Glauberg mineral waters, there are also pure acidulous waters, e.g. with a high iron content.
Healing mineral waters are waters having a verifiable healing effect. There are six medicinal springs in Marianske Lazne:
The drinking cure is a complex process, it should always be considered that a certain kind of water is suitable for specific problems but it can be highly inappropriate for other disorders. The drinking therapy must always be consulted with a physician because improperly applied drinking cure may cause harm.
– MUDr. Pavel Knara
An ever more popular cocktail of rest and professional care for your health. More about spa stays.
Marianske Lazne (Marienbad) is worth visiting, even if for just a weekend! However, if you come specifically for a spa treatment and you want it to take the right effect, make some more time. More about 14-day treatments.
General rules of the drinking therapy
- We recommend the drinking therapy 3times a day before meal.
- All mineral springs in Marianske Lazne are cold. The mineral water temperature ranges from 8 to 10 °C. Thanks to this fact, all waters contain a high volume of carbon dioxide because at 36 °C carbon dioxide is released in the air. During the treatment in Marianske Lazne we recommend cold mineral waters because after drinking the water gets warm in stomach and starts releasing carbon dioxide, which is then resorbed by the gastric mucosa, increasing its blood circulation and thus also the resorption of more minerals.
- Warm mineral water is used for gal bladder, liver, pancreas diseases, and constipation. It is a matter of course that cold mineral waters should not be drunk for diseases of the upper airways.
- The mineral water is drunk from spa cups. The volume of this spa cup is 220 ml. We recommend to perform the drinking therapy right by the spring and to drink the cup (i.e. the 220 ml) in small sips within 3 to 5 minutes. If two cups are to be drunk, a pause of minimum 5 minutes must be made in between. We recommend to finish the drinking therapy at least 15 min before meal.
The drinking therapy must always be consulted with a physician because an incorrectly selected drinking therapy may cause harm, in particular to patients with a high blood pressure and with cardiac problems.
– MUDr. Pavel Knara